DECA: MARKETING AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
DECA is a state and national organization available to all students who are currently enrolled in Marketing and Entrepreneurship Education courses.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR INVOLVEMENT
Through activities at the local, state and national level DECA members have the opportunity to enhance their working knowledge of vocational understanding, community service, leadership development, and social intelligence. A few examples of programs to promote these skills are listed below.
- Activities to Promote:
- Mathematic Skills
- Free Enterprise & Economic Awareness
- Chapter Achievement Programs
- Chapter Activities
- Community Projects
- Marketing and Entrepreneurship and Entrepreneurship Education Program Enrichment
- Leadership Conferences: District, State, Regional, and National
- Leadership Positions
- Learn and Earn Activities
- Magazines: State and National Levels
- National, Regional, State Business Associations Support
- Officers and Committee Members: Local, District, State, and National
- Professional Conferences: Local, District, State, Regional and National
- Scholarship Programs
- School Improvement Projects
- Business Sponsored Activities
Since its conception, DECA has held a channel for students to compete against peers for recognition of skills necessary to marketing careers. DECA Competitive Events parallel Marketing and Entrepreneurship Education curricula and industry-validated competencies.
The events are held in the major career clusters of:
- Business Administration & Management
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Marketing and Entrepreneurship, Sales & Service
Within each of the career cluster areas are specific occupational categories:
- Apparel and Accessories
- Quick Serve Restaurant Management
- Restaurant and Food Service Management
- Business Law
- Retail Merchandising
- Services Marketing and Entrepreneurship
- Hotel Lodging
- Sports and Entertainment Marketing and Entrepreneurship
- Technical Sales
- Food Marketing and Entrepreneurship
- Automotive Services
Within each of these occupational categories, students participate in evaluation of competencies in the following instructional areas:
- Human Resource Foundations
- (Communications, Human Relations, & Career Development)
- Selling (Selling, Product/Service Technology, Math)
- Promotion (Advertising, Sales Promotion, Visual Merchandising)
- Distribution (Inventory Control, Transportation, & Storage)
- Risk Management
- Economic Foundations
- Marketing and Entrepreneurship and Business Foundations
- Marketing and Entrepreneurship Information Management-Product/Service Planning
Participants compete in written papers, tesst, and role-playing events that simulate actual business situations. They are judged by business people in the specific occupational area.
For all additional information, documents, and forms please go to the North Carolina DECA website.
NC DECA serves high school students studying marketing, management and entrepreneurship in business, finance, hospitality and marketing sales and service.
DECA is an international association of high school and college students studying marketing, management and entrepreneurship in business, finance, hospitality and marketing sales and service.