RTT-ELC K-3 ASSESSMENT PROJECT ADMINISTRATOR :: Cindy Bagwell
NC RACE TO THE TOP EARLY LEARNING CHALLENGE GRANT
VISION: Each child is honored, respected, and empowered to achieve success in school and life.
MISSION: The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction’s Office of Early Learning believes a strongly aligned, high-quality early learning experience increases success for all children in school and in life. Therefore, we exist to collaboratively reform and support a more coherent and aligned approach to teaching and learning from early care and education to the primary grades and beyond.
We accomplish this by:
- developing and implementing a coordinated strategy to align early care and education and kindergarten through grade 3 policies and practices
- serving our stakeholders as we listen, research, inform, and coordinate efforts across the birth to grade 3 continuum
- promoting high-quality teaching and learning that supports the whole child, including their developmental, cultural, and linguistic needs
In response to legislation passed by North Carolina’s General Assembly, and to meet requirements of the Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge grant, the Office of Early Learning is designing a developmentally appropriate, individualized assessment for K-3 children. This assessment, which will be used by all school districts, will be formative in nature and aligned with both North Carolina’s Early Learning and Development Standards and the Standard Course of Study (Common Core State Standards and North Carolina Essential Standards). It will build on the best of assessments currently being used in the early grades while broadening areas assessed to incorporate the five domains of development and learning included in The K-3 Assessment will provide teachers a more complete picture of the whole child and provide data to inform daily instructional practices and help meet the needs of every child. The Office of Early Learning values stakeholder input and will offer a variety of opportunities for teachers, administrators, families, and community members to be involved via listserves, the K-3 Assessment Wiki, and this webpage.
For additional information, please visit our NCDPI K-3 Assessment Wiki:
JOIN THE OFFICE OF EARLY LEARNING LISTSERV
This listserv provides educators, administrators, curriculum support personnel and families current and relevant information regarding topics related to Birth through Third Grade.
This listserv will offer members opportunities to:
- Stay current with the latest news and initiatives at DPI
- Learn about upcoming professional development opportunities
- Discover new and pertinent resources
How to Join
- Send an email to the Office of Early Learning PreK-Grade 3 Listserv by cutting and pasting the following address into your "To" box within your email application: email@example.com
- Leave the subject line and the body of the message blank.
- Once you have successfully subscribed, you will receive a confirmation email.