WELLS FARGO PRINCIPAL OF THE YEAR
WELLS FARGO PRINCIPAL OF THE YEAR PROGRAM
- One of Wells Fargo's long-standing goals is to be a good corporate citizen in the communities in which it does business and to enthusiastically demonstrate its support of education. Where education is valued, communities are enriched.
- The Wells Fargo Principal of the Year Award was introduced in 1984 to recognize outstanding leadership in North Carolina's schools and the role of the principal in establishing an environment conducive to the pursuit and achievement of academic excellence. Wells Fargo sponsors the award in conjunction with the N.C. Department of Public Instruction and the Chapel Hill-based Center for School Leadership Development.
- Principals are judged on many criteria. Each is expected to merit the respect and admiration of students, teachers, and other professional coworkers, parents, and members of his or her community. Involvement in the community, as well as in school activities, also is considered. Candidates are expected to provide opportunities for academic achievement to a diverse student population.
- The POY awards program recognizes principals at the local, regional, and statewide levels. To advance in competition, the nominee must prepare an in-depth written portfolio for review by a selection committee in each education region.
- Regional selection committees read and evaluate each candidate's portfolio, and personally interview each to name a regional winner and a finalist.
- Local winners receive a $150 cash award.
- A statewide selection committee reviews the portfolios of the eight regional winners. Each is interviewed, and the selection committee visits each candidate's school campus.
- The statewide Wells Fargo Principal of the Year receives $3,000 for personal or professional use, and his or her school also receives $3,000 for educational equipment or materials. Each of the eight regional winners receives $1,000 for personal use and $1,000 for the school.
- Since the program's inception, 32 state Wells Fargo Principals of the
Year, 202 regional award recipients, and 2,590 Wells Fargo Principals from across
the state have been added to this auspicious roll. Wells Fargo has provided more
than $1 million in cash awards to these individuals.
- The culmination of Wells Fargo Principal of the Year Program is a ceremony in Raleigh, where the statewide winner is announced. The date is set to coincide with the N.C. State Board of Education meeting. The N.C. State Superintendent of Public Instruction and other board members are invited to attend.