UPDATE OR RENEW YOUR PROFESSIONAL EDUCATOR'S LICENSE
PROFESSIONAL EDUCATOR'S LICENSURE RENEWAL PROCESS
The window of time for annual renewal is April 15th through June 30th of the year that a license expires. Please submit renewal requests only during that timeframe. Renewal requests submitted prior to April 15th will be returned.
North Carolina Standard Professional 2 professional educator's licenses must be renewed every five years. The renewal process ensures that professional educators licensed as school personnel continually update their professional knowledge and technical competency. Each professional educator's license holder is responsible for knowing and satisfying their license renewal requirements. Failure to renew your North Carolina Standard Professional 2 professional educator's license makes one ineligible for employment.
Renewal and Reinstatement Guidelines
During the 2011 session, the General Assembly reduced the number of renewal credits required to renew a Standard Professional 2 license from 15 to 7.5. Additional legislated changes are also noted. As a result, the State Board of Education approved the following requirements to renew the Standard Professional 2.
|License Expiration||Renewal Requirement|
License Expires June 30, 2015
All Educators - 7.5 CEUs
National Board Certification:
*License Expires June 30, 2016 or Later
*K-8 Licensure Area – 8 CEUs
*All Other Educators – 8 CEUs
*Subject to change based on NC State Board of Education policy updates
- A unit of renewal credit is equivalent to one quarter hour or one in-service credit from a North Carolina public school system. A unit reflects ten contact hours.
- The DPI Licensure Section does not accept renewal credits of less than one unit.
- One semester hour is equivalent to 1.5 units of credit.
- For a professional educator's license to remain current, all credit must be earned by the expiration date of the existing professional educator's license.
- To renew an expired professional educator's license, 10 semester hours or 15 units of renewal credit must be earned within the most recent five-year period.
Activities accepted for renewal credit:
- College or university courses
- Transcripts are required as documentation; grade reports are not accepted.
- Local in-service courses or workshops
- The administrative unit certifies credits
- Classes and workshops approved by an LEA
- Documentation of completion is provided by the agency sponsoring the activity
Keeping records of renewal credit:
- Individuals employed in a public school unit (or a nonpublic school authorized to administer staff development programs) should contact the superintendent, headmaster, or designated staff development coordinator about all renewal questions and recording of credits earned.
- Individuals not currently employed in a public school unit (or a nonpublic school authorized to administer staff development programs) should maintain their own records of renewal credit until it is time to renew their professional educator's licenses. Prior to the time of renewal (late April to early May of the year of expiration) such credits should be submitted to the Licensure Section for renewal.
How to Apply for Renewal of a Professional Educator's License
DO NOT USE HIGHLIGHTERS OF ANY COLOR ON YOUR DOCUMENTS. HIGHLIGHTED INFORMATION IS BLACKED OUT AND UNREADABLE BY OUR DIGITAL SCANNING SYSTEM. HIGHLIGHTED DOCUMENTS MAY BE RETURNED TO YOU.
Step 2: Collect the supporting materials to accompany Form U
Transcripts (originals) or certificates of credit (Note: Grade reports are not accepted in place of transcripts.)
Step 3: Mailing Instructions
Mail the completed Professional Educator's License Update Form, supporting materials, and processing fee of $55.00 to:
Department of Public Instruction
6365 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-6365
You may pay by personal check, money order, or certified check made payable to the Department of Public Instruction. You may also pay by Visa or MasterCard. If you wish to pay by credit card, fill out the credit card payment form (pdf, 56kb).