- Blythe, T., Allen, D., & Powell, B.S. (1999). Looking together at student work: A companion guide to “Assessing student learning.” New York: Teachers College Press.
- Boyd, V. & Hord, S.M. (1994). Principals and the new paradigm: Schools as learning communities. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New Orleans.
- Carmichael, L. (1982). Leaders as learners: A possible dream. Educational Leadership, 40(1), 58-59.
- Darling-Hammond, L. (1996). The quiet revolution: rethinking teacher development. Educational Leadership, 53(6), 4-10.
- DuFour, R., & Eaker, R. (1998). Professional learning communities at work: Best practices for enhancing student achievement. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Hord, S.M. (1997). Professional learning communities: Communities of continuous inquiry and improvement. Austin: Southwest Educational Development Laboratory.
- Isaacson, N. & Bamburg, J. (1992, November). Can schools become learning organizations? Educational Leadership, 50(3), 42-44.
- Kleine-Kracht, P.A. (1993, July). The principal in a community of learning. Journal of School Leadership, 3(4), 391-399.
- Louis, K.S. & Kruse, S.D. (1995). Professionalism and community: Perspectives on reforming urban schools. Thousand Oaks, California: Corwin Press.
- McLaughlin, M.W. & Talbert, J.E. (1993). Contexts that matter for teaching and learning. Stanford, California: Center for Research on the Context of Secondary School Teaching, Stanford University.
- O'Neil, J. (1995, April). On schools as learning organizations: A conversation with Peter Senge. Educational Leadership, 52(7), 20-23. Prestine, N.A. (1993, July). Extending the essential schools metaphor: Principal as enabler. Journal of School Leadership, 3(4), 356-379.
- Sergiovanni, T.J. (1994a). Building community in schools. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
- Sergiovanni, T.J. (1994b, May). Organizations or communities? Changing the metaphor changes the theory. Educational Administration Quarterly, 30(2), 214-226.
- Spears, J.D. & Oliver, J.P. (1996). Rural school reform: Creating a community of learners. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Education Research Association, New York City.
- Sykes, G. (1996, March). Reform of and as professional development. Phi Delta Kappan, 77(7), 465-476.
- Wignall, R. (1992, June). Building a collaborative school culture: A case study of one woman in the principalship. Paper presented at the European Conference on Educational Research, Enschede, The Netherlands.