IMPROVING TEACHER QUALITY
Title II, Part A is intended to increase student academic achievement by improving teacher and principal quality. This includes increasing the number of Highly Qualified teachers in classrooms, improving the skills of principals and assistant principals in schools, and increasing the effectiveness of teachers and principals.
- LEAs must conduct an assessment of local needs for professional development and hiring. There should be a clear connection between identified needs and Title IIA activities.
- Title IIA Activities must be
- aligned with state standards;
- based on a review of research; and
- designed to have a substantial, measurable and positive impact on student achievement.
- LEAs must target funds to schools that
- have the lowest proportion of HQ teachers;
- have the largest average class size; or
- are identified for school improvement.
- LEAS must develop a PD plan that addresses the needs of teacher and principals.
- LEAs must ensure that all professional development activities are coordinated with other federal, state, and locally funded PD.
- LEAs must ensure that teachers, paraprofessionals, principals, other relevant school personnel, and parents collaborate in the planning of Title II-A activities.
- LEA shall use Title II-A fund to get core content teachers and Title I paras HQ, if necessary.
Allowable Uses of Funding
- Recruiting, Hiring, and Retaining Highly Qualified Teachers and Principals
- Programs and activities designed to improve the quality of the teaching force
- Teacher Advancement initiatives that emphasize multiple career paths and pay differentiation
- Professional development activities that improve the knowledge of teachers, principals and superintendents
- Hiring Highly Qualified teachers to reduce class size
Legislation and Guidance
- Title II, Part A, Teacher Quality Legislation
- Title II, Part A, Improving Teacher Quality Non-Regulatory Guidance October 2006
- Teacher Toolkit
- Para Professional Guidance
- NC Licensure
Resources and Updates
- NC Licensure Policy Update
- Improving Teacher Quality Title IIA: The Basics - May 20, 2015