The Transportation Services section provides leadership, technical assistance, service and support to Local Education Agencies (LEAs) in all areas of pupil transportation. Objectives of the section include the following:
- to provide a sufficient, safe and reliable system of transportation for eligible pupils in North Carolina’s public schools;
- to ensure that a durable, safe, well-maintained fleet of school buses is available for this purpose;
- to assure an equitable distribution of State funds among LEAs that will promote safety, quality and extent of service as required by State law and State Board Policy;
- to provide information systems and technical assistance to help LEAs provide transportation service as efficiently as possible without compromising the quality of service; and,
- to provide for LEA fiscal responsibility, decision-making authority and accountability.
Additional resources for school districts, schools, parents, students and others are available at North Carolina's School Bus Safety Web.