The North Carolina State Board of Education has adopted the following mission —
Every public school student will graduate from high school, globally competitive for work and postsecondary education and prepared for life in the 21st Century.
Along with the mission, five major goals were approved.
- NC public schools will produce globally competitive students.
- NC public schools will be led by 21st Century professionals.
- NC public school students will be healthy and responsible.
- Leadership will guide innovation in NC public schools.
- NC public schools will be governed and supported by 21st Century systems.
To fulfill this mission and attain the goals, we must listen to those we serve and focus on:
- Improving reading skills, K-12
- Increasing the graduation rate to at least 85 percent with a goal of 100 percent
- Developing and implementing a system of professional development for all educators
- Improving partnerships with parents, businesses, and associations
- Improving the accountability and assessment system
- Using technology in engaging and meaningful ways